Working from home isn’t for everyone, but thanks to improved technology, it is a new possibility for more people than ever before. These pros and cons will help you decide if working at home is right for you.
1. Manage your own schedule: Avoid having to give up all the best concerts and hangouts, just because of an inconvenient work schedule. Work when you want to work, and take back control of your day.
2. No commuting: Some people sit in a car, bus, or subway for an hour or two every day. Spend that time doing something else, like catching up on sleep.
3. Save money: Gas, lunches out, and a professional wardrobe are just some of the expenses you can totally shrink by working from home.
4. Workplace variety: You can work in a home office, at the kitchen table, or at the coffee house down the street. Find a place with wireless Internet access, and you’re set!
5. No dress code: Although you might need to dress up for video conferences, you can spend most of your work day in shorts and a t-shirt, no questions asked.
1. Requires diligence: If you’re not self-motivated, you may find yourself spending too much time social networking or watching pointless videos and not enough time making money.
2. Hard to leave work behind: It’s easier to ignore work worries when you’re at home, but when the office is your laptop, it’s a lot more tempting to work on a project late into the night.
3. Others not taking your job seriously: Family and friends may get the idea that you just sit at home all day. Make it clear that you work hard so you can play hard.
4. Guilt for taking time off: When you control your money-making time, you may feel guilty for taking a Saturday off to be with your friends.
5. Anonymity: It may be more difficult to receive recognition or additional opportunities if people rarely or never see you in person.
Working from home helps a lot of young entrepreneurs take charge of their life. If you decide to work from home, take full advantage of the freedom it offers while making sure you give it your absolute best.